Sunday, September 8, 2013

Finishing the SG jr Part 2: Adventures in French Polishing

Just a quick progress report on my SG junior guitar build:

After contour sanding, I glued up the neck and body.  I like Titebond II Dark wood glue for darker woods like walnut and mahogany. Like all glues, I resist the temptation to wipe off excess glue when it is wet.  I wait for it to dry and then the squeeze out comes away cleanly with a chisel or razor blade.

Once dry, the residue will come off easily with a bit of scraping.

The front of the headstock I wanted to darken for contrast, but did not want to just spray paint it black.  I ebonized, or pickled, the mahogany with a mix made from soaking a steel wool pad in vinegar for a day.  Once I clear coat it with shellac, it will look great.

The neck and back of the body are finished, except for final polishing & buffing. I'll tackle the front this week.  Both for aesthetic and health reasons, I decided to go with a modified French Polish approach, using shellac with a bit of dye added to deepen the natural beauty of the mahogany as I build layers.  I used standard mahogany color grain filler from STEWMAC after dying the body with own mix of alcohol dyes mixed with a bit of shellac sealer.

14 sessions to build the back and neck.  Creates a beautiful, thin finish that absolutely glows: if it was good enough for master violin makers, it's good enough for me.  Definitely time intensive, but time is something I have.
You can get a bit of an idea of the color and sheen after applying the sealer, dye, grain filler, body coats, & glazing coats of shellac.

Some people have asked about the durability of a shellac finish:  the best testimony I have is my great-grandfather's violin.  It was made in the mid 1800s, saw a ton of different conditions, and still looks good today.  Plus it's probably the easiest finish to repair, if it is damaged.

Posting more when I get the front done.

No comments:

Post a Comment