Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"DIY Guitar Therapy:" What To Do With The Guitars I Build?

I've really struggled this fall and winter with my hemiplegic migraines and other neurological issues, so while my "in shop" hours have been curtailed, I've had lots of time to think and plan. Having something to think about besides the pain and immobility is a blessing, as is being able to lose myself in the work on those days I'm able to actively work in the shop.

I hope to continue building & playing guitars for as long as I can physically. Adaptation and evolution have to be part of the process: sometimes just sitting with a guitar has to be enough. I'm really grateful that I have this outlet for my hands, mind and heart.

Given my physical limitations, my production output will never get out of single digits in a year, but even at that rate, guitars will soon start to pile up: even more than my Gear Acquisition Syndrome requires! So what to do? I have no desire to sell guitars as a business. Mt thought at the moment is to donate them to charities. Either to auction off at their fund raising events, or possibly for actual use in programs like "Six String Heroes," that provide guitars and lessons to veterans. I like the thought of passing along the therapeutic value I've enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment